Sunday, February 18, 2024

“ALL THE PLACES IN THE WORLD”




BY Clay Larroy

If you're looking to get away from it all with a trip away from home, don't forget to travel smart. Regardless of whether you are traveling to a nearby location for the weekend or taking a week-long destination vacation, you are always going to benefit from some tips and ideas on how to make the whole process, more fun and less stressful. Take time each day to alleviate stress while traveling or vacationing and you will thank yourself for it when you get back home. When you want to plan a vacation contact me!


 The Dinosaur Coast. ‘Surf the Tsunami, Anyone?’

By Robyn Leslie

It was a chilly night - we had all commented on it over supper, and the resurrected wind had forced me indoors seeking a jacket. With goodnights said, we closed our double-netted doors, turning on the fans to expel the heat of the day that lingered too long once the temperature outside changed.
I was just nodding off when we heard the phone ring, heard the clattering of footsteps up the stone stairs to our rooms.
The panicked voice of our neighbor, Becca, sounded. ‘Robyn! Robyn!’ She began hammering on our door, the loud and consistent drum of urgency. I stumbled out of bed, pulling on shorts, the jacket I had just thrown on the floor over my nightgown; shoes yanked on without undoing the laces. Someone shouts at us ‘Passports! Grab your passports! Another voice, lower, more stressed - ‘we have got to get out of here’.
The camera goes over my shoulder, the passport in my bag. My traveling companion is zipping up her backpack and grabbing our water bottles. We don’t look at each other. We run outside to where the rest of the hostel has gathered near a battered minibus. Bryan is trying to throw his backpack on the roof, but it keeps falling. He shoves it aside and hustles Helen inside. I realize I still don’t know what’s happening. Von, one of the Swedes, turns to me. ‘The water levels dropped 30 meters. It’s a tsunami alert.’ The immediacy of these words is lost on me for twenty or so seconds, and then found with startling clarity. We begin bundling ourselves into the van, my mind spinning. Where is the highest point? Far enough? How much time have I got? A tsunami? Surf’s up.

Helen begins to panic. Bryan is shouting ‘What? All of us in this van? No way, are you crazy?’ They both jump up and try to force themselves out. The disordered bus entry turns into a panicked run into the darkness. I look in despair at their disappearing backs, and decide better with the crowd than without - we join the dash. Luckily, the road seems to be heading upwards. I sprint up the hill so fast I have to wait, shivering, for people to catch up so I won’t be alone. My fear has now settled in the pit of my stomach and I am searching, straining my eyes for a hill, any hill. ‘Get me away from the sea!’ my head screams at my body.
Ignoring private property signs, we all duck and edge through barbed wire fences. We are heading up the nearest sand cliff - and it is not made for passage: loose earth, rocks and holes are everywhere, and the thin, white thorn trees are invisible in the moonlight. No matter, the fifteen of us storm up the bank, fear pushing us up and over, falling but getting up, ripping ankles, legs and t-shirts but never - never - stopping.
We are all out of breath once we have summited, and if we had the mind space we would have congratulated ourselves at the rapidity of our ascent. So now what to do? We range ourselves on the hill top, all angling towards the ocean. We sit, staring at the sea.
Fifteen minutes. What danger are we in?
Twenty minutes. Are we as high as we can go?
Thirty minutes. Someone asks if it is possible to surf a tsunami.
Matt mentions something he heard on CNN - tsunamis have a lag time of 2 hours. ‘We have 2 hours?’ I think. That is another kilometer inland at least - but I say nothing for now.
The waiting is telling, and people start to make jokes. ‘This is my mother’s email address - any survivors, please tell her I found God before I died, she’ll be so happy!’ ‘Now I can phone home for more money - a tsunami will definitely panic my parents’ bank account into action!’
Forty minutes. A cell phone ring. In quick Spanish, Lucie explains where we are. Her boyfriend in Lima has seen the alerts on TV and promises to call back when he knows more. The minutes tick by.
Lights go on and off at sea, and it appears to me that a fog is forming. People start to take photos. Quietly at first - as if it might be irreverent - but soon emboldened to direct ‘little to the left - now face me!’ With over an hour of no action, almost everyone now starts to relax. People are talking freely and joking around - ‘anyone pack some rum?’

The hippies, who in their madness or ignorance have not left their beachside tents, begin to play their drums. This strange music quiets the loud voices. The eerie half world sound winds and writhes its way up to our hilltop, the rhythm floating ominously in the suddenly dead-still air. I think I stopped breathing. This forgotten coast seems to be rumbling, as if the dinosaurs of its private namesake are stirring in their fossilized graves, insisting on attention, stamping their feet as if demanding that the face of the world looks their way. Lucie’s cell phone begins to trill and the group falls silent immediately. Instinctively, we all move closer together.
She answers. The tsunami alert is over. An extreme tide had pulled the sea back thirty meters, and it was safe to return to the town. The drums below beat on. Later, the hippies would take credit for holding the tsunami at bay. A few of the surfers bravely express disappointment. I’m back in my hammock.
Two days later, the blockades were pulled down and our company of traveler’s leaves, each seeking their own new locations. We were back on the sand the next day, watching the tide roll in.

REFERENCE SITES:

Going to Peru is, well, if you ever have an opportunity in your life to go there, you should do it because it is absolutely mind boggling.
Dean Stockwell
 
Travel to experience life with those you love!



No comments:

Post a Comment